Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Day 3 (Has it really only been 3 days?)

Today has been very different than yesterday. Olivia is still doing amazinginly well, but she is more sad today and quiet. The very first thing she did when she woke up was to put on her crocs. I had taken them off of her during the night and she was not happy about that! She LOVES them so much. She also refuses to take of her hair bow. I'm beginning to wonder if this is not some sort of attachment thing. These things belong to her and she wears them each day so she is making sure they stay with her. Sort of a security blanket.
We had an incident happen that I think has contributed to her saddness. Mary was in the hotel room with us and when she was about to leave she and I began walking to the door. Olivia started crying and ran to me. She thought I was leaving her. It just broke my heart. Shortly after that when I laid her down for her nap she started crying for her PoPo. That's the first time she's done that. It is a scary world for her right now. She has no idea if I'm leaving or staying. I pray that it doesn't take long for her to feel secure.
This is her favorite way to wear her hair bows. We've had several comments today by Chinese people about how cute her bows are.

This is Olivia talking to her Daddy on the webcam. He sings The Itsy Bitsy Spider to her every day. She loves it.

The first time she waved Bye Bye to Daddy. Now she does it to everyone.

Olivia is a really good eater. She wipes her mouth with her spoon if any food gets on her face. Here is a video clip of breakfast.

Mary picked us up at 9 to go to the Yi ling Village. It is an hours drive from Nanning. It was chilly and raining a little. The fog was really bad so most of the pictures are not very good. I wouldn't have missed this trip for the world. This village is where there is one of the largest Rice Paddies in Nanning. The people are very poor. I was so humbled while I was there. I felt very rude taking pictures of the people but Mary assured me they didn't mind. They were very nice and smiled at us. I cried while I was there and again when we left. I am so incredibly blessed. I don't think I could live like these people do. I take so much for granted.

This is what most of the houses looked like. Many of them had no doors or windows, only openings. I cannot fathom how they stay warm. All of the houses had lots of firewood stacked up outside. Mary said they go all over the place hunting for any kind of wood they can to burn.

I am crying as I type about these women. They are doing their laundry. It was so cold out and they dip the laundry in the water then put it on the rock slab and scrub each piece with a brush, then rinse it again. The woman holding the yellow shirt was concerned that my hands were cold because I wasn't wearing gloves. This lady, who was sticking her own hands in ice cold water, was thinking of my comfort. I stood there and wept. I will never in my entire life complain about doing laundry again.

This sign says Brave Generation Of Tai Mountain. I wanted to have Olivia's picture taken in front of it because I believe she is very brave.


Pictures from one of our MANY walks around the hotel lobby
The hotel is decorated for Chinese New Year. This is the Year of the Rat



I was really hoping to see a bride while we were here. I was so excited! She was very nice and let me take a picture.

Now is this cute or what?

This evening has been very busy. Susan from Grace & Hope for Children came by to bring me the CD of Olivia's life from the time they began helping her. It was a wonderful visit. She downloaded pictures of Olivia from the last few days to take to Olivia's foster mother.

Kathy asked me to bring a packet of pictures to her foster mother. Her daughter Sarah is from the same orphanage as Olivia. Tonight the foster mother, her son and daughter-in-law and their son came to the hotel to get the package. Mary came as well to translate for us. We all went to dinner and had an amazing time. She brought gifts not only for Kathy's family but for Olivia as well. She brought her a set of the stuffed Chinese New Year mice, a little Chinese purse and for good luck for the rest of her life she gave her a Jade stone. I was overwhelmed by her generosity. She also made me some homemade Rice Cake. It is a special food of Guangxi province. Mary said it tastes kind of salty and has some meat in it.

In the restaurant you go from station to station and point to what you want on the wall. They enter it into a computer then bring it to your table. You tell them how many are at your table and they bring enough for everyone. The food is put onto a lazy susan and everone shares.

Already after the boys!

By the end of this day, Olivia has done much better. We had a good time at dinner and she was so well behaved, as usual. Sarah's foster mother kept saying that she felt like Olivia was already attaching to me by the way she acted. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. We are going to a 1000 year old Buddhist Temple and then to climb the Qing Xie Mountain to the Pagoda.

14 comments:

jeanette said...

what a wonderful day! You are doing so well-telling us the story thru pictures!

LOVE the fact that Skpe is working for you and that Olivia can talk to her baba and ge ge's!

We, too, were humbled by the Chinese and their way of life..and they don't complain! and here we Americans are and we complain about everything and yet have SO much more!

will pray for restful sleep for the 2 of you and a wonderful day 4 :)

Seven Alexanders said...

Lynn;
Thank you! I am so touched by you taking the time to meet with Ah-moo. I know her husband is still in Africa. I had no idea she was a grandma! That explains why Sarah was her last foster child. I will email you privately....Thank you....thank you!

Unknown said...

We are thrilled for you and your family, and especially for Olivia to have found such a loving home. We pray all your lives will be enriched and that God will provide Olivia with peace, knowing she has her family for always!!
Love to all,
Charlie & MaryAnn

Ava Baby said...

Congratulations! Olivia is just beautiful and I agree, very brave. I found that my daughter also had a harder time on the 3 or 4th day then she did initially. I think the reality of the situation is sinking in- these children are amazingly resilent and she'll be back to her happy, smiling self in no time. Enjoy China.

day by day said...

Lynn,
I felt many of the same feelings you are having when we visited the countryside of the Hunan Province. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life and I also felt that I take so many things for granted. We can look at pictures and read about situations, but being there in the middle of them is so powerful! Each trip to China-I left a small piece of my heart with them.

BTW- I love Olivia's determination with her spoon at breakfast! So cute!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey to Olivia! She is just precious and seems to be doing wonderfully! Love the video, she is great with a spoon! I remember the YiLing village tour, it was the most memorable and special tour of our time in Nanning also.
Blessings,
Cindy

RamblingMother said...

I thought I recognized the gotcha room. glenys is a Wuzhou, Guangxi baby. We were in Nanning too. Loved there and Guilin best out of all the places.

Congrats and Olivia is beautiful.

beverly

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
You guys look great. Olivia looks happy and you seem to be doing a great job, and just think of the bond you two will have from these two weeks being by yourself. Be blessed.
Missy - Picayune, Ms.

Kristy said...

Congratulations on your new little piece of Heaven!! She is absolutely just beautiful and of course she knows who her mommy is. You look so happy, I just can't wait to be in your shoes. Have a great day and I will be checking in. I am also going to put your blog on mine if that is ok.

Love and blessings, Kristy

Lori Lynn said...

Olivia, you are looking so lovely! It is nice to see that beautiful smile. Your mama is so very lucky to be yours.

Here's to a lifetime of joy!

Lori W
another very lucky mama

redmaryjanes said...

It sounds like things are going well. Your pictures are just wonderful. I will continue to pray for you.

Lori said...

I love her hair bow style!
The video of her eating just about melted my heart~ she is so precious!!!

insanemommy said...

I cried my eyes out reading this post. The memories came flooding back. You will come back with a different view of life. I know I did. Things are so immaterial now.....life is good.

KB8WFH said...

I can't tell you how thrilled we were to read your blog and see your pictures. We were there in April and we sent to Yi Ling as you did. It made a huge impact on me and I am currently working on a book to publish of my China pictures, may of which are from Yi Ling.

It was also great to see a shot from the restaurants in the basement of the Wharton...our favorite place to eat for the entire trip.

When we were there in April, a cold snap (nothing like you are dealing with) hit also, and the folks there thought I was nuts for walking around in short sleeves in 68 degree weather. They were all bundled like Eskimos.

Looks like you are having a grand adventure despite the bad weather and the health issues. So nice to see you and your little girl together. She is a very lucky little girl.

Best always,

Matt