Monday, January 28, 2008

The First Day

It's 2 am so of course that means I'm awake! I can't seem to sleep more than 4 hours.
So, on to the good stuff! When Olivia came into the room I, being the devoted mother that I am, looked right at her and didn't recognize her! Then Mary, my guide, started taking pictures and was saying "That's your baby". It really took me a minute to realize it was her! The pictures told the story but there were so many more of her crying. She really had a hard time. She refused to look at me once she realized what was going on. She would "steal" glances at me. Once we got into the car she turned and looked deep into my eyes. Her face was expressionless but her eyes spoke volumes. They were saying "You may have me, but you can't make me like you". She is so precious I can't stand it!!

Back at the hotel she got to see Blake aka Baba on Skype. She actually waved a little to him. It was obvious she recognized him from his picture. She was fascinated with seeing him. Same with Ben, Jackson and Joe.

She really did okay for the most part but she's so sad. She refused to let me take off her coat or shoes. Now you can tell from the pictures that she was HEAVILY bundled. As time went on she began to sweat. But she screamed if I even attempted to take them off. After I took her to the bathroom I managed to get the coat off finally. She won't play with ANY of the toys that I took when I met her. Only the ones that remained in the room. She HATES her doll. She LOVES tv. I found a kids channel and when they sing or dance she sways back and forth and softly sings. Occasionally she will laugh or talk. She has the sweetest voice.

I thought she might feel better if I gave her the toys that the foster mother sent with her. They are the ones that we sent to her. When she saw them laying on the bed she grabbed her coat and started putting it on very quickly. She then gathered all of her little toys in her arms and headed for the door. I nearly lost it. It just broke my heart. I knew that I had to get the coat and shoes away from her. She obviously thought that as long as she had her coat and shoes on she was leaving. It would have been worse to let her continue to think that she was going back home. It was just prolonging her grief. It was the hardest thing to take that coat off of her while she screamed and held on to it with all of her might. I quickly hid the coat and toys. All except the purse. I could not pry her fingers loose. So, she took the purse and headed to the door. She screamed and screamed and screamed. Then she screamed some more. She jumped up and down and yelled something over and over. Then she started knocking on the door. It was so incredibly sad. At first I tried to comfort her but she would have none of that. She pushed her hand at me and yelled something....obviously "go away!"
So, I did. I sat on the chair and just let her cry for about 5 minutes. I felt very strongly that I should not force myself on her and that she just needed some time. Then I slowly walked over and picked her up and she didn't fight me. I got her interested in the tv and that was it.

I managed to take the other 5 layers of clothes off and put her pajamas on without incident. She still won't look at me though. It's so comical to see her glances. Once, I managed to do something that she thought was funny but oh how she tried to hide it. She turned her head all around to keep me from seeing her smile!

When it came time for bed I turned the lights out and laid her on the bed with me. She started screaming. I gave her the bottle and she laid down to drink it. When she was done she scooted as far away from me as she could to the other side of the bed and rolled over. I scooted up against her and she let me stay! She is learning that she needs me. Soon she will love me. She was asleep in seconds and has slept peacefully.

I remember when I was reading my friend Jeanette's blog about when she adopted her daughter. I hoped that we would have as many prayers said for us as they did and that Olivia would adjust as well as Elizabeth did. I can tell you that we do have those prayers! It is so obvious and I'm so grateful to each one of you who has lifted us before the Lord. Olivia is grieving appropriately and showing signs of strength and courage. I'm so very proud of her!





24 comments:

Leslie said...

Hi Lynn

I'm so proud of you and the strength you are showing Olivia. I was a basket case when Lily grieved in China, because Ella didn't grieve at all. I have no back bone, and admit I'm whimpy. Your strenght is amazing, and yes you do have all kinds of people praying for you and Olivia, and it does get easier everyday. Your a natural and it shows in your post. Olivia is beautiful, and so glad to see all your posts. I hope you get some good sleep soon.

Praying in Ky.

Keisha said...

Hey Lynne!!
I'm sorry little Olivia is sad. But, you know what...she's gonna love you!!! No matter what! You are her mommy, & in the days to come she will learn to trust you and I....Can not WAIT to see that very first picture you put up on this BLOG.. with that Babies Beautiful Smile!!!! Hang in there. I know it's hard. I didn't experience any of that, but Jill did. She could shed some light for ya as I'm sure she already has. JUST look at Miss Macie!! She absolutly adores her mommy! Olivia does too, she's just a little scared & trying to be brave.
I'm praying for you!

Goodness Grief she's just Precious with that little poutty face! lol!
;0)
Love,
Keisha

Steve and Darcy said...

I feel your pain! My husband and I got our little Danielle on Nov 19 of 07 - and she grieved hard for 4 days! But by Friday, Danielle started turning around. It was the most heartbreaking thing to watch. She hated to be in our hotel room, and she often took our fingers and lead us to the door, wanting to return to her foster family. The cry was heartwrenching. I kept telling myself that this was good - she had learned to attach to someone, she would attach to us too. But it was the hardest thing that we had ever been through. I spent a lot of time talking to God - and that helped. I also let her look at pictures of her FM. The first time she saw it, she threw her head back and cried, but then the pictures seemed to comfort her. After she was able to look at the pictures, she calmed down - I guess it was a little closure for her in a sense. Hang in there - it will get better. In fact, our little one is doing amazing after only 2 months! It is amazing how resilient these little ones are, especially for going through such loss at such a young age. When things get rough, remember that this too shall pass. Our prayers are with you!
Darcy in GA
Guangxi mom

jeanette said...

Go to bed! :)
Praise God for her grieving as we all know it's a good thing...it means she's been attached and now she just needs to attach to you! Praise God for those small steps of letting you hold her, her letting you scoot next to her, letting you put pajamas on her....we'll keep on praying for more and more baby steps.

she is beautiful Lynn. Just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She looks pretty in pink!

Hang in there, Lynn.
Hugs,
Anna

Michelle R Photography said...

I got to your blog through a link on Leslie's. What a beautiful little girl... an absolute doll baby!! My youngest wouldn't look at me for two weeks. We have been inseparable ever since. She is just precious and you have the perfect outlook on what she is going through right now. Many congratulations to you and your family!!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are heart wrenching and beautiful all at the same time. I'm so proud of you and proud to be your friend. Thomas just oos and aahs when he looks at her. Close your eyes and sleep! Michele

Lori Lynn said...

Just looking at her little pictures makes me cry. She is clearly so sad, yet so beautiful. It is also obvious how much you love her and I bet she will feel the same very shortly. What an adorable little girl you have!

Lori

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Oh Lynn,

I know you have to be so emotionally drained. You are being such a pillar of strength for Olivia and I hope she senses that you are in it for the long haul and love her no matter what.

Your description of your day is difficult to read. It makes me so sad for these precious beings. Oh how I wish they didn't have to hurt and endure this but it is part of God's wonderful plan to bring her into your family.

She is just too beautiful and I am prayerful just as your blog says that Olivia's sorrow will be changed into dancing and her clothes of sadness will be clothes of happiness...

Rest,
Lisa

The Ferrill's said...

I came to your blog through Keisha's. What you are describing is almost identical to our experience with our 2 year old boy last July. He would scream and cry "Mama" only he wasn't calling for me, he was calling for his foster mother. He was greatly attached to her, and that is a wonderful thing. Now he is such a different child! It is hard to imagine that he was once such a sad little boy, because he is certainly all smiles now! And actually, once we got to Guangzhou, things were a little better. Stand firm and stay strong, it takes time and you have just enough of God's grace to wait for her to come around! ;)
Her great love for her foster parents will transfer to you!
Congratulations! You have a beautiful daughter!
Laine

Jana said...

Congratulations!

I just found your blog and I just want you to know I'm keeping you in my prayers. Olivia is GORGEOUS and trust me, each day gets easier. You won't believe the transformation and it happens right before your eyes. Enjoy every minute, soak up the culture, and celebrate every milestone.

Lauren and Ed said...

Oh gosh...it just breaks my heart that she is so sad. However, I think you are doing a great job easing into it. She is scared and her whole world is different. You have the rest of her lifetime to share and cuddle her...be patient! You are doing a great job! It will get easier! I can't get over how beautiful she is!

lora said...

What a precious precious girl!

God placed her with just the right Mama, who knows just what she needs!
blessings,
lora

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
I remember when Jill called home with Macie the first night. Jill was so torn about her feelings, but you guys have to remember that God has ordained your steps and He would NEVER bring you to it, to NOT see you through. This is the hardest part, but you sound like you are doing a great job with little Miss Olivia. She is beautiful.
Stay strong and rest in His anointing grace. As Jill told us my mind was ready but my heart was not truely prepared for what I had to experience with Macie. Of course I wanted to jump on a plane and help her. But like I told her then, God has you right where you are so you have to depend on Him. He is Faithful to bring you to your daughter, and He WILL unite you two as best friends.
Hang in there... and know in Mississippi, we are praying for you two and your family back home.
Love in Christ, Missy

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
I will be praying for you here in Greenville, SC. Be brave and know that it will get better!!

Elizabeth and Kate (Guangdong girl you met at Starbucks).

Anonymous said...

love her love her love her. our girl!
your sister (AND OLIVIA'S AUNT!!!!!!!!!!) Vicki

redmaryjanes said...

Oh my word. Olivia has reached right into my heart. I will pray for you. What an amazing account. Thank you so much for being so honest. One day I will be in your shoes and will handle it better by reading your words today.

B-squared said...

Hello,
Found your blog through the Guangxi group. We adopted our Guangxi girl in December 2006. She was younger than your Olivia (who is just beautiful, btw - although you already know that!) but grieved heavily, just the same. She was so not happy with me at first; laughed with me by the time we left Nanning; and by the time we left Guangzhou, she cried when I went to shower! So, as you know, this is a tough time, but greener pastures are ahead. Your post was beautiful and you seem to be coping so well. Congratulations on your new daughter and we'll keep you all in our prayers!

Laura Nipper said...

I just found your blog through Red Mary Jane's. Olivia is beautiful. I will be praying for your transition with her.

mommy24treasures said...

oh Lynn I am just so happy for you. Words can't even bein to describe Olivia's beauty. And what a perfectly wonderful fighting strong personality. I am in love with her! Thank you so much for sharing all of this. I am thinking of you all during the day and will pray for you.
Love
Connie

Lisa said...

Lynn,
She is beautiful. What you are describing also reminds me alot of Ana Claire. We had to hide her clothes that she wore on our family day. She just clung to them and cried. I am sorry she is so sad, but she will slowly start to trust you and love you! I am lifting you and her up in prayer. I can't wait to see more photos.
Be strong! God will get you through these hard days.

my3 kids said...

What a beautiful little girl your olivia is. She looked so sad but she is sure to continue letting you into her heart. What a doll she is. Congratulations.

3 Peanuts said...

I am praying for you Lynn. i am going to ask for prayers on my blog. Kate grieved her loving foster family too. It is so sad but how lucky that they were lved. That will let them learn to love you all in time.

I am loving your posts.

Kim

Lori said...

Lynn,
I love reading all the details in your posts of everything that is going on. You are sharing such valuable information. I will pray for both of you, it sounds like you're doing a terrific job!
I'm enjoying all the pictures~