Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Feb 6 Last Day in China


Last night Olivia had another breakthrough. She went into the bathroom and sat on the side of the tub. She was jabbering on and on and then decided to get in the tub (there was no water in it). She got in and walked around it and bent down and looked at the drain, tocuhed the spout and touched the sides. She was really checking it out. Then she got out and took her socks off and got back in. She really liked it. I decided not to ruin a good thing by trying to actually bathe her. I just let her play for a while. I think we are on the road to a bath yet!!
I also finally got her to let me paint her nails. She tried wiping it off and couldn't understand why it stayed
Ben, Jackson, Joe, here's a shot for you. We were walking down the street and some soldiers came marching by. It was pretty cool.
This morning after breakfast we went to Starbucks. This tree is outside the door. There are lots of these tangerine trees here for the New Year. Tangerines are the "lucky" fruit. The trees are decorated for Chinese New Year with the lucky money envelopes. They are supposed to be red but the Starbucks ones are pink.
In front of the Victory Hotel, as we are leaving the island.

I've read on other blogs about how parents felt sad when leaving China. After I'd been here for a few days I felt kind of guilty because I knew that I would not be sad. I couldn't wait to get home! Now that our last day in China has arrived I'm filled with all sorts of emotions. After the bellboy took our luggage downstairs at the Victory, I sat in the floor with Olivia and just cried. I was overcome with sadness as well as relief that the trip is nearly over. I felt heartache as well as excitment for Olivia because of the adventure she is about to embark upon. I realize that I am taking her from her country of birth and her people. The place that God originally placed her in order for her to be the person she is, but not the place He intended for her to grow up in. Not the place where her family is.
Olivia eating her lucky tangerines that were in our room when we arrived at the Novotel
The lucky envelopes had a fake gold coin in them
Look who decided to take a bath tonight! She wants to look good for her daddy! She kept going into the tub and touching the faucet. So I turned it on for a second and she got real excited. I undressed her and started running the water and she was fine. She had so much fun with her stacking cups! She even poured water on her head several times. I'm so proud of her!

I can't believe I will see my boys in a little over 24 hours. It seems like it's been SO long! I know they are excited about seeing Olivia too. Jackson has been counting the hours for several days now. Tomorrow we will say goodbye to China and begin a new journey together as a family. This trip has been life changing not only for Olivia, but for me as well. I've learned alot about myself. I've learned that when I'm very tired I shouldn't trust my feelings!! I've also learned I can do some very difficult things. I may not always like it and I may not always have the best attitude, but I can do what I need to do.
Olivia, my love, let's go home!

40 comments:

ellieshine said...

Lynn,

What an amazing journey! I have been so blessed to follow your amazing trip to your beautiful Olivia. I am so excited to continue to share this journey as you return home and introduce your darling Olivia to your precious husband and boys.

May God continue to pour out his blessings on your family . . .

Big Hugs! Ellie

Joanne said...

Have a safe trip home ~ I loved "revisiting" China with you :)

Anonymous said...

WOW, how you have both grown and evolved! Thanks for sharing your journey with us all. May you continue to enjoy one another and have a safe trip home. See you very soon!

Much love,
Lynn E.

Seven Alexanders said...

Welcome Home, Olivia!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. What an amazing journey. Thanks for sharing with all of us.Your daugther Olivia is beautiful. My husband Paul and I also adopting little girl from China. Our LID is 4 July 2006. Have a safe trip back home.
Dada A.

Keisha said...

Praise God!!!!! Yall are own your way home!! And, just look at that precious smile!!! I just sit here in AWE of God & His wonderful provision's for Olivia...for You Lynn! Wow! What strength you have gained on this trip...you're going to come home a new mommy! I'm proud of you my friend!!
Love,
Keisha
Ps.. as soon as you get settled in back home... call me .. let's chat!!!

Anonymous said...

An amazing journey on so many levels.
love your sister Vicki

Katrina said...

Olivia Lynn time to come home. It is just a beginning .. Have a safe trip. See you soon!!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Lynn,

I have loved following your journey and thank you for boldy speaking from the core of your heart.

China will always be special to you but Olivia is about to experience home for the first time. I know your boys must be brimming with excitement to finally meet and love on their beautiful daughter/little sister.

What an amazing journey it has been and yet an even more amazing journey awaits you...

God bless you!

Hugs & Happy New Year,
Lisa

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I have had the BEST time following your journey... I thought it was great you went on your own... I am sure it would have been tough at times though... alas... I can't go alone since I am only a US Resident... I need the hubby who is a citizen to come back with me... oh well... I am glad he is going way, way out of his 'comfort zone'... we have been to other countries but I don't think it will be as 'foreign' as China is going to be... I look forward to getting there I look forward to reading about Olivia and her new life back home and how she is going to sweep everyone off their feet... take care and relax as much as you can on the flight... hehe

Anonymous said...

I feel privileged to have joined you and your family on this personal journey. Thank you for taking the time to record so many details,photos, and videos. Godspeed on the way home! I feel that I know Olivia already but can't to see you both in person. much love, Linda S

jeanette said...

ah geesh -I'm crying again! I cried back when we left China too-when the plane took off I had so much sadness the tears just flowed...and also excitement for the journey to come.

Love how Miss Olivia likes to take a bath. what a precious punkin!

May God keep you both safe on this last leg of your journey, may He keep your flights on time, and may your reunion with the rest of your family be an amazing and joyous one!

Grandma Donna said...

Lynn, Ashley and I looked at your blog about precious Olivia, and of course you. Ashley said Olivia is so pretty, she listened to the vidios also. We really enjoyed them. I pray you will have a safe trip home. Olivia just doesn't relize what a beautiful home and wonderful family she is going home to. She will bring so much joy to all of you. Love all of you, Olivia, I love you so much already. You are a truly a gift from God. Love you Grandma Donna :-)

Anonymous said...

This truly has been a transformation for both of you. Our lives have been so similar, but now you've gone somewhere I cannot go. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. Love, Michele

KB8WFH said...

Such excellent writing in your bog entries. It was so nice to read about our adventures and the joys of coming together with your daughter. It takes me back to when we did the same thing in April. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

I wish you a safe and happy journey home. Happy Chinese New Year!

Nikki said...

Oh, I can't wait to see your posts from home sweet home!

Thank you for letting me follow along on your journey - it has been such a blessing.

(and I LOVE the fact that Olivia took a bath for you and enjoyed it. How cool!)

Donna said...

Lynn, I have not been good about commenting here but I have been following along and I have LOVED watching Olivia transform from that sad little girl to the happy angel I see now. You have done a great job letting her slowly ease into being your daughter. What a blessing you will be to each other always.

I wish you safe, uneventful travels home to the US. I can't wait to see her with her daddy and brothers.

God bless you!

Donna
mom to Lena and Macey

redmaryjanes said...

I am all teary eyed here at work. I will pray for a safe and relaxing trip home. Thank you for this wonderful diary. I have learned so much. You are an incredible mother. God Bless all of you.

Anonymous said...

.........gotta add: love the nail polish, Olivia!
see you soon, Aunt Vicki

Anonymous said...

Oh praise God. This has been the sweetest journey to follow. Your daughter is precious, as are you. Praying for a safe trip home, back into your the arms of your family....
Blessings ~
Ps. we are about to go on this same journey to our sweet baby girl in 2 weeks......thank you Lord.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am sooo happy for you! I know you are ready to get home and you all are so incredibly blessed. We will continue to pray for you all as Olivia adapts to her new life here. Hopefully we will see her soon as baseball starts...she is just simply adorable. Stephanie Y

3 Peanuts said...

Lynn,

I feel honored to have walked along side you on this journey (reading it anyway). You are an incredibly brave, strong and inspiring Mom. I have fallen i loe with Olivia and watched her learn to trust you more and more each day. Bless you. Enjoy your reunion with your family.

I posted a link to this blog on my post today because I am thankful for being able to read along here:)

Kim

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

Are you just beside yourself with anticipation knowing you will be home soon? I know it will be a wonderful reunion and welcome to the newest family member, Olivia. I am so excited for you, and will comtinue to pray for all of you!
:) shirleen

Anonymous said...

It won't be long before we will all be meeting Miss Olivia in SC!

Yeah!
Anna :)

Mary said...

Delurking to say I have loved following your journey to your Olivia..Thank you for sharing.Welcome home Olivia..

LaLa said...

Have a wonderful trip home and into the arms of the rest of your family!!! I love her big grin!! It is amazing how much she has grown in her trust (getting in that "deep" water was a huge progress) Can't wait to see her at home. We too were sad leaving China : )

*Oh, we have a photo of the soldiers too but later we were told it was illegal to take their pictures...we are such rebels : )

Emily said...

I found your blog through Jeanette's and I just wanted to say I have really enjoyed following your journey to China. Olivia is beautiful and it was amazing to read about her transition. I am so glad she's doing so well. Have a safe trip home! I can't wait to see picture of her with her brothers and dad!

Julie and Steve said...

I don't know you, but I am so thankful to you for sharing the emotions of your journey with all of us waiting parents-to-be. You should be very proud of yourself - and what an amazing little girl Olivia is already becoming in your care. Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
Thanks for sharing you blessing with ua all. I was so blessed to read your entries everyday. Olivia is beautiful, and wow what a transformation she has made in two weeks. I know your family is looking forward to your return home with the rest of your family.
Have a safe and blessed trip.
Looking forward to reading your blg from home.
Missy - Picayune, Mississippi

Narissa said...

Lynn it has been so wonderful to watch your trip to finally bring Olivia home. I am almost sad that it is over! I loved reading your post each day and am so happy to see how great you both have done. I was worried for you going alone, but you sure are a trooper. You just showed the world how you can do anything for your child. Following your journey long before your trip made me know you could do it by seeing all the love you have for your beautiful boys and never to forget Lili. I am so happy for a great family to have one of the finest China can give, a Min girl! Sending prayers from one of your extended Min families Narissa and Ruthie

Donna said...

Lynn,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. It seems like it was an amazing experience.

I'm so glad you are finally on your way back to your boys and that Olivia will soon meet the rest of her new family.

Have a safe trip home and I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of Olivia with her brothers and daddy.

Donna :)

Lauren said...

Im so excited to hear that you are coming home!!! Have a great trip home.

Linda said...

Hoping your journey home goes smoothly...Can't wait to see your Family reunited. You have given so much to all of us by writing about your journey. I have cried and laughed and been amazed by the way you handled the ups and downs. Thank You for sharing this journey...Linda

Cara said...

Lynn, Thank you so much for sharing your trip. I loved reading about all the details and learned so much from your journey. Olivia is a blessed little girl!

Anonymous said...

I want you to know I have been reading your blog for about a month now. We recently adopted our little girl from the US after a long painful journey. Olivia is a very lucky girl. She has such a kind, understanding, and patient mommy. You are an inspiration to me. Your faith in God and strength of family is such a witness to others. I too went on the journey to adopt alone. Mommies can do many things we never imagined we would do to help get our girls home. Thank you for sharing your special moments. Many blessing to you and your family as you are all united into one unit. Godspeed and welcome home.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, thinking of you as you make your trip home today. I didn't read your blog in China but now seeing the early pictures of Olivia and what we saw of her is amazing. She has come so far. Alison is exploring the whole house. She slept in her room last night and loves her things. She has found our bonus room and is looking around up there.

Our trip was exhausting and we didn't have a little one to carry. I pray for your strength and stamina. You are almost home. Your life with Olivia begins soon. I can only imagine how beautiful she will look as she comes off the plane to see Daddy and the boys. She is such a blessed girl. I look forward to updates on this sweety.

You have my info. Thanks for sharing this time with us. We enjoyed our time bonding with our girls. I showed Alison pictures of her and Olivia from your blog and almost got a smile. Smiles are coming more frequent. She was frightened of our dog at first and already they are best friends. God is so good. Thinking of you a lot. Brenda

DiJo said...

She is absolutely breathtaking! Congratulations on your very special daughter! Isin't it amazing how God equips us for things we don't know we are capable of? Blessings to you as you journey home and introduce Olivia to her brothers and Daddy!!! I am so glad I read Kim's blog this morning and found you!!! Again, Congrats! I hope your re-entry goes safe and smooth!!!
-Diana
(Ruby Mei - Jiangxi 5/8/07 Gotcha)

Shana said...

Oh, Lynn... Olivia is BEAUTFIUL! She is so amazing in every way. What a journey you have had! I'm so excited and happy for you! Have a safe trip home...

Hugs, Shana
p.s. My very very favorite photo is the one of Olivia eating her lucky tangerine- stunning!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Hi Lynn,

Just checking again to see if you have any homecoming posts...

Praying you made it home safely and without too much incident.

I admire you for your courage to travel alone to bring home Olivia. I can't wait to follow the journey that's just beginning!!!

Love,
Lisa

Lori said...

Lynn, what an amazing journey, I'm so grateful to have been able to follow you and I'm so grateful for you writing and sharing such detailed accounts of your day to day experiences. It's been amazing to see Olivia grow in her trust, she is so, so precious.
Love the nail polish! :)