Sunday, February 10, 2008

Homecoming

I've finally figured out how to get a post done after your bring your child home. You get up at 2 am to do it! Of course, this is normal for me since going to China anyway. Actually, I'm having an easier time adjusting to the time that Olivia. I guess becuase this is my "normal" time and I'm just getting back to it. She's adjusting to a totally new time. We've both been taking lots of naps. The late afternoon one is especially difficult to wake up from. She's not really happy about it.
Olivia's final look at her homeland. She feel asleep in my arms and slept through the take off from Guangzhou. I had very mixed emotions as we flew away. I felt sad that I was taking her away from her country, her people. Yet I know that this is the plan that God has for her and that she WILL be happy. She did fantastic on the flights. I can tell you that I didn't have enough "new" toys. I'd saved the Color Wonder books for the plane and they were a lifesaver but I wish I'd had about 4 more different things for her to play with. Fruity Tic Tac's helped alot too! The flight is so incredibly LONG. Just when you think you simply cannot possibly take one more minute, you look at your watch and realize you have 6 more hours!
She got to be a pro at the airline service. She was taking her tray table down when she heard the cart coming down the aisle
Hey, this is not Dora!
Olivia meets her first family member! This is my great nephew, Justice (and yes he is great!). My sister, Vicki and her 2 children and grandson, Justice met us at the airport in Detroit. I had a 5 hr layover and they drove 2 hours to meet us. It was so fantastic to see them although, by that time, I was pretty much in a fog. Olivia really loved playing with her cousins!
Vicki brought me ladybug earings!
Look at the sweet signs the boys made for Olivia
Where are you?
I'm willing to post this horrible picture of myself because this is Olivia's first glimpse of her daddy! Priceless!
Just look at Olivia's face as she sees her Ge Ge (guh guh)
She was pretty overwhelmed by seeing everyone. She did great in her car seat on the way home though.
Once we got home she felt so much better. She was having a blast with her daddy and brothers.
When she saw her referral photo on the table she grabbed it and started kissing it. She said "Ming Qing". It was so sweet.
Talking to her Jie Jie (gee gee means sister), Jill on the phone.

Within about 30 minutes of being home she had all 4 males in our house having a tea party with her! Only one was brave enough to have his picture made. The tea parties have become a regular event. She pours everyone tea then she clinks the cups together like she's toasting! Too funny!
>
She loves Skip! She sneaks food to him so, of course, he hangs out with her alot!

Here's a video of her hugging Jackson & Joe.
Ben gets all the kisses!

These pictures portray one happy little girl. That lasted until the next morning. The next 2 days were extremely difficutlt. I will try to post about it as soon as I can. I do want to ask for your prayers as she struggles with fear, insecurity and confusion. She's regressed drastically and is about like the 2nd day I got her. From her progress I expect for her to be much better within another week.

21 comments:

Seven Alexanders said...

Glad to hear more about the homecoming. Lynn, hang in there. You'll start seeing huge changes after the first week. I'm proud of you and what you have done!
Kathy

Keisha said...

That's going to happen!! No need to be alarmed. Just have patience with her and pray, pray, pray! Faith was the SAME way. I thought.."Lord what are we gonna do?"" But, He worked it out in his time! Trust me... she'll get through it.. with LOVE & support from her new family... & What a sweet family God has Blessed her WITH!! I love love the picture of her and daddy having a Tea party!! TOO sweet! Glad you're home!! Take care and get some rest!!!
Love,
Keisha

Anonymous said...

I am delighted to see the photos of her being at home. I was missing your blogging so much but I know you have got to be totally exausted and that the ajustment period has begun. I loved the photo of her and Blake having tea. That is so Blake. What a dad! Olivia is perfect for the boys (spunky, playful, and smart) and and perfect for you (beautiful, girly, and smart)! We have seen the "real" Olivia so I believe it when your friends on the blog tell you (and YOU told me!), that her ajustment is a process that happens in its own time. Hang in there. You are a trooper like our mom. When something meeds done,it will get done.
Love, your sister , Vicki

Anonymous said...

PS The other photo that I really touched me was Olivia looking at Skip and Joe touching Olivia's cheek. It is so amazing, Joe: yes, she is FINALLY home and yes, she is your sister for real!
Love, Aunt Vicki

Leslie said...

I love those precious first pictures. I wish I had known you were in Detroit, I would have come and sat with you! Looks like she had quite the homecoming, so sorry to hear about her bad days, it will get better! I hope those men in your life are giving you some much needed TLC! Hang in there Lynn!

Ladyblog said...

Oh Lynn! These pictures made me all teary! Thanks for posting them. You looked gorgeous even after all that travel. I will be praying for Olivia's transition. I remember when we brought our first daughter home, she adjusted so well. But, after 6 months I began to realize that she was so much better adjusted than I ever realized she could be. It is definitely a process as I am sure you know from your extensive experience.
Blessings,
~Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

So glad you and Olivia are home! The pictures of all of you together are great. Will continue to pray for Olivia to adjust to her new life with all of you....that she will know, even at her tender age, that you all are her family and she is greatly loved.
:) shirleen

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Lynn,

These pictures are filled with such pure emotion--I love them!!! How cool you got to see family during your layover...

I know it seems overwhelming for all of you. Praying each day will be easier for Olivia and she will come to know and love all of you as her family. I can't imagine how confusing it must be for these little ones and even though I had thought about it hundreds of times before we came home, the enormity of it hit when we got home.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs,
Lisa

Lauren and Ed said...

Lynn,
It is so wonderful to see Olivia home with her family. By the way, you looked amazing after traveling so many hours...You don't even look tired! I am amazed at Olivia's progress. She is doing so well, eons better than Mia did. She will have some regressing, but she will bounce right back...she has already shown how resiliant she is. Big hugs to her and you from Mia and me. Congrats again!

Lauren said...

Awww...she is soooo adorable! I will keep your entire family in my prayers.

mommy24treasures said...

awwww I am just in tears!!!! Thank you for sharing so much. IT has been such a blessing to follow.

I love the tea party story.

Yes I am absolutely sure things will get much better and quickly. Praying for you
Love
Connie

redmaryjanes said...

Look at you guys! Beautiful. I am sad that she is having to transition once again, but she has you now and will be ok.
Welcome home friend and thank you for the most incredible journal that you provided to all of us while you were there. I visited every day.
I will continue to pray for you.

Michelle R Photography said...

Thank you so much for letting us follow your journey to your beautiful daughter. What a wonderful homecoming for you and for her! I will pray that Olivia finds continued comfort in her new surroundings.

KB8WFH said...

Thoughts and prayers for you all. Glad you are home and I can promise things will improve.

What a great family you have.

3 Peanuts said...

Lynn,

You have me crying AGAIN! I am so in love with little Olivia. She reminds me of Kate in so many ways. Kate also LOVE tea parties and it seems like that is ALL I do somedays. She also bonded with our dog right away. The first few weeks are really tough for everyone. Hang in there..it will get better. I will pray.

I would love to send y'all somethings. If it is okay, e-mail me (through my profile and give me your address if you have time)

Kim

3 Peanuts said...

Forgot to say that I love her putting her arms around her brothers!!! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi.. let me introduce myself.. I am Ellie. I got your blogging website from Michelle, I went with her and my Aunt Beth to China when they both adopted their now 2 1/2 year old girls. The red thread doesn't end there though... When my aunt first adopted from China, I was living there!! I lived in Shanghai, China for 8 years... and I was able to work in the orphanages there. I have a very strong connection with China, and China's children. I love your blog, and your daughter is SOOO beautiful!! I am sure that everything is going to be fine, I can tell from all of your beautiful photos that this little girl is where she is supposed to be, in your arms. I am praying for you!!!

Ellie

jeanette said...

Praise God! I love these pics-love seeing her at home!

You know all the regression we had with Elizabeth once we got home and YOU were the one who talked me thru it..so Olivia has a pro for a mom :) I will be praying for Olivia :)

Kristy said...

I am so thankful that you are both home safe and sound. It looks like she fits right in, and she will be fine, God loves her and she is right where he wanted her to be from the beginning. God bless you and I hope you get some rest. Love and Blessings, Kristy

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
Hang in there. Miss Olivia will adjust in her own time. She loves the boys as we can all see and her security will come. You have totally impressed me and from just reading your blog, you are a very strong person. I always say women like us come a dime a dozen. God will bring you through.
My husband went to Iraq for 14 months and I was left home with four children. Not knowing the future was the hardest part for me. I had a small breakdown on Jill and in spending time with the Lord. I realized God had His hand on Tracey and we were all going to be ok. I begin asking the Lord, what He had for me to do and He gave me a ministry and He began to lift the burden. God is always faithful and remember His mercies are NEW each day.
Olivia will begin to trust you and your husband. She will realize you are her family and you are not going to leave her. She will adjust.
I will continue to pray for you and your family.
Love in Christ,
Missy - Picayune, Ms.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I didn't think that you were going to be posting here again and so I never looked here... oh my... you had me crying so much reading it all... taking off from China - I think that I too would get a little emotional over that... then to see her with her brothers and her dad... that was so great... don't worry about that photo of you crying... I think you of all people would have needed to let that out... take care...